A brief history
Serving our community since 1957
The Boys & Girls Club of Evansville began operations in December 1957. Originally opened as an all-boys youth serving agency, today the Club provides programming and services for the most at-risk boys and girls of our community.
As an affiliate of the Boys & Girls Club of America, the Evansville Club maintains high standards to remain in good standing with the national organization. In doing so, the national organization provides a variety of services and programs to help in creating a positive environment for young people.
The Boys & Girls Club currently has two sites - the Main Unit on Bellemeade Avenue (formerly on Illinois Street) and the Fulton Square Unit on Dresden (a partnership with the Evansville Housing Authority). There are over 2,000 kids served at the two sites. In addition to the youth directly served at our sites, the Boys & Girls Club of Evansville is reaching another 4,000 young people through the SMART Moves Program, sponsored by Vectren, in the schools.
The Springleaf Financial Services Boys & Girls Club of Evansville -
A New Home for Our Kids!
On July 8, 2008, the Boys & Girls Club officially broke ground on its new facility located at Bellemeade Park. The Club's Main Unit property was purchased by Berry Plastics to make room for Berry's new world headquarters. With over 4,300 children, age 0-17, living within a one-mile radius of the new site, the Club is looking to serve thousands of more kids.
The new facility officially opened on June 1, 2009, and has proven to be a great move. From June 2009 to August 2009, over 1,300 NEW members registered as members of the Club, and we experienced an average daily attendance of 350 members. This move has been described as having an "immediate impact" on the lives of the children living in Evansville's Center City. We continue to provide excellent, nationally tested and proven programs at all of our sites, and we are grateful for the community's support!
The Boys & Girls Club of Evansville is
The Positive Place for Kids!